Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Once Upon a Time

I love fairy tales.  I love the originals and I love retellings.  They're the same stories told over and over again, and yet people don't seem to be getting sick of them.  On the contrary, people are demanding more, if pop culture has anything to say about it.  

We have TV shows like Grimm and Once Upon a Time, and two Snow White movie movies to release this year (Snow White and the Huntsman and Mirror Mirror).  


Publishing also contributes to the frenzy with books like Malindo Lo's Ash, a lesbian retelling of Cinderella (Read it!)  and Marissa Meyer's Cinder, Cinderella with a sci-fi twist (This one pubbed about a week ago and I still have the unread ARC sitting on my desk, whoops; soon, I promise!) and you better believe there's more to come.


What I particularly love about these reboots? The badass female leads.  As much as I enjoy a good fairy tale where you slay the dragon and give up everything for your true love, more often than not in older versions, men get to do the former and women get saddled with the latter.  Not so with contemporary tales.  We girls can now have our cake and eat it, too.  Instead of wringing our hands, we females can storm the castle and defeat the evil queen ourselves.  Then afterwards we can smooch our Prince Charming silly.

On that note, check out this fan video set to the Marina Diamonds's music called "I Am Not a Princess."


No comments:

Post a Comment